November 7, 2008

Know What?

"But now that you know God—or rather are known by God..." ~Galatians 4:9

...known by God.

...known by God.


Those words have tumbled around in my heart for a while now. Specifically in the secret compartment of my heart.

You see, it seems to me hearts have one undisclosed section under lock and key. Concealed from others, things inside remain unconfided. Maybe it’s because there isn’t someone to tell. Perhaps pride wiggles in before words get out. We don’t want to weigh others down, so we don’t ‘trouble’ them. Possibly fear creeps in and a struggle between vulnerability and shame ensues.

No matter the reason, the truth is, that hidden cavern isn’t so hidden afterall. Oh, from the eyes of man maybe, but thankfully not from the eyes of God. Proverbs 15:3 promises the eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch. And like Galatians 4 tells us, He knows the depths of our unknown. No detail of our journey is overlooked. Jesus said in John 10:27, “My sheep … I know them.”

Here’s the clincher for me. Before God formed us He knew us (Jeremiah 1:5). Did you catch that? Before. We’ve never stood a chance to hide from the Lord! No matter what might be in our heart’s screened-off area: joys, triumphs, anger, shame, grief, hurt… It has always been clearly seen by God. He knew our hearts when there was nothing in them and has known every little and big thing we’ve hidden in our hearts over our lifetimes. His inventory of our concealed area is 100% accurate!

I write this because at times it’s easy for me to believe I’m unknown. Feeling unknown opens the door to many damaging mistruths. So I want to encourage you, if your secret compartment is full to the brim and your heart aches to share those things…call out to the One who loves you and understands you (1 Chronicles 28:9). You are known.

The man who loves God is known by God.” (I Corinthians 8:3)

No comments: