November 8, 2010

Ante What?

Antediluvian, "before the deluge" – the period referred to in the Bible between the Creation of the earth and the flood. In popular culture, the term is used to refer to any ancient and murky period. {Thanks Wikipedia!}

Truth? Did you know what antediluvian meant before you clicked on this post? As a self-proclaimed word-nerd, I racked my brain before I bowed out and Wikipedia'ed it (so adore verbing a noun!)

This six syllable wonder scattered into my thoughts. I bumped into it all day. But why? I didn't even know what it meant or where I heard it. Why today has it been tripping me up?

Here's what I think. Sometimes we keep a tight grip on things which we need to let go. Much like the people in Noah's day, holding on to their sin and doubt, we're invited to walk away from {fill in the blanks} and leave it all behind. There comes a time when we know the Creator just gave us a nod of encouragement and blueprints for an ark.

I felt that nudge today with my increasingly repetitious word antediluvian. Time to pick up my hammer and nails and build in faith. Time to build a float of hope. With one eye on the sky for the elusive cloud. I know He'll send the healing rains to accumulate and flood into the ancient, murky past. They will wash away my {fill in the blanks} and when I step out of my ark, I'll be stepping on a clean slate. A fresh start.

How about you?

Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments. ~Deut. 7

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Wow! Very nice. The message I just heard at church on Sunday was all about Noah and the flood and where we might need to step out in faith and trust God.

Love this line, "There comes a time when we know the Creator just gave us a nod of encouragement and blueprints for an ark."

Carol Davis said...

I'm with you, sis! Now hand me a hammer!! Love ya, friend.

Sharon Sloan said...

Sam: Thanks for teaching me a new vocabulary word. I am going to try to use it frequently over the next few days. :)

Thanks also for blessing me with your words here. Build in faith. Amen!

And, yes, I would love to drive you to work. I'll pick you up at 8:00 AM. :)

Hugs,
Sharon