May 20, 2008

The Day Heaven Called

One Sunday I was worshipping in church with a wonderfully diverse Body. All cultures and ethnicities were singing praises to God! What a glorious sight and sound! Rudely, the brash ring of a cell phone caused our worship to come to a curt halt. Everyone stilled and listened as the man answered his phone:

“Hello? Yeah she's here; hold on. It’s for Samantha (*awkward!*)… it’s Heaven calling.” Hardly believing my ears, I took the phone and listened intently to the caller, “Mmm-hmm, mmm-hmmm … okay, okay … bye.”

Hanging up the phone, I gathered my things, turned to the congregation and exclaimed, “I got my commission from Heaven! I’m outta here!” And down the aisle I sailed! Wow, the exuberance that came from my brothers and sisters was amazing! They were so sweet to rejoice that the Lord had called to give me orders for the mission field!

Okay, obviously Heaven didn’t actually call me in real life. Or did Heaven really call me?? The story above is a dream my pastor shared with me about a year ago. The day after he told me, I was shopping in Target when my phone rang. My reception isn’t great there, so I let the call go to voicemail. Checking Caller ID a bit later there was no name, but the phone number was …

777-777-7777

... and that my friends was the day Heaven called.

No comments: