June 2, 2008

A Mile or Two

“Then the Lord gave this message to Jeremiah:“This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says: ‘Come and learn a lesson about how to obey me.’" ~Jeremiah 35:12-13

Do you have lessons God teaches you that for some reason take forever to get? Stubbornness, arrogance, ignorance … for whatever reason it just doesn’t sink in? One of these hard-to-learn lessons God has been teaching me is: You are not alone. Feeling alone isn’t a hurt or fear I typically struggle with, so I didn't really feel the need to learn it. But the Lord has brought me back to this truth so much so recently that I’ve perked up! One way He has taught me is with my very own sneakers!
You are not alone:
Others have walked this road before you
Others are walking this road with you
Others will walk this road after you

For those who might be skeptical, please check out how the Lord used my New Balances:

Memorial Day weekend my sisters (biological and adopted) and I journeyed up the mountain for some R&R. Like any girly vacationers, we decided to toodle around Blowing Rock, strolling the sidewalks and peeping in stores. Before we left the cabin to go, one of my sisters realized she hadn’t brought comfy walking shoes and asked if she could borrow a pair of mine. So she donned my sneakers and off we went!

- - - - -

During our lunch hour a friend and I work-out together. All set to head out the door last week, we ran into a glitch … she only had one sneaker! We called off exercising until she said, “Hey, do you want to go? If not, can I borrow your sneakers?” So she donned my sneakers and off she went!

Giving my shoes back to me, she joked, “Now I’ve walked a mile in your shoes!” God reminded me once again: You are not alone. I may not know just yet the reason God is teaching me to never let kindness and truth leave me; why He is asking me to bind them around my neck, and write them on the tablet of my heart” (Prov. 3:3). But I know I need to know His kind truth that I am not alone and He has set others in my life to walk with me. And literally, walk a mile or two in my shoes!

Micah 6:8, “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

No comments: