October 27, 2010

Best Email Ever!

I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. ~1 Corinthians 3:6

Every story has a beginning, middle and end. The same is true for the story of our life. Our education starts in kindergarten, goes through elementary and middle schools and ends in high school or college. A romantic relationship begins with friendship, passes into dating and culminates in marriage. Meals start with appetizers, lead to a main entrée and finish with dessert.

How about our salvation story? The middle of every believer’s salvation story is a relationship with God, and the end is eternity with Him. What about the beginning? That’s different for everyone. Maybe a salvation-seed is planted while attending church with a neighbor. Perhaps a grandma's prayers are rays of sunshine on a cold heart. Hard, bitter soil may soften through the kindness of a women making room on the pew. Or roots sprout when a stranger in the front of the line buys lunch for those behind her.

Yes, every salvation story has a beginning. Have you considered the possibility that you could be part of someone’s beginning? Unbeknownst to me, I was part of my friend Javier’s!

Javier and I were neighbors in college a decade ago. Our roommates dated, so we hung out often. We cooked dinner. Spent lazy afternoons watching movies. Cheered next to each other at football games. When I took guitar lessons, Javier taught me chords. Despite all this time together, I'm sorry to say I rarely brought the Lord up in conversation. Over the years we’ve kept in touch sporadically. So when Javier sent me this email, I was humbled and amazed.

Just wanted to thank you for being in my life in college. I came to Christ about four years or so ago and when looking back in my life, I think of people that were examples I wanted to follow. Even though we hardly talked about God, I knew you were a Christian and really admired that about you. Talk about planting a seed that didn't bear fruit right away. 10 years in the making. I am glad I am able to tell people who helped me find Christ how important they were.


The day I received Javier’s email was one of the best days of my life! To know I had planted a seed in his salvation-story is an honor. Our key verse teaches we each can play an important role in bringing salvation to others. We may not always be fortunate enough to know the outcome of the seeds we plant, or water, but we can have confidence the Lord will cause growth.

Javier’s story inspires me to plant more seeds by being intentional with my words, deeds and actions. I want to be the neighbor, grandma, woman or stranger... the friend or family member ... church member or coworker ... who plays a role in the salvation stories of others. How about you?

Join Javier and me tomorrow for a Q&A! I learned a lot from his answers on reaching out to those who don't know the Lord! Plus, I'm giving away Louie Giglio's How Great is Our God DVD!!

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. ~Matthew 5:16

By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. ~John 13:35

6 comments:

LeeBird3 said...

I have glory bumps!! :)

Sharon Sloan said...

Yay!!!! So exciting! Rejoicing with you in God's goodness!! Woo Hoo! :) That is awesome.

Please tell Javier that I named my male-voiced GPS Javier when I got it a few years ago. :) Love that name!

Can't wait to read more about this!

Praise the Lord!

Eileen said...

This is a wonderful example of how God uses our actions to bring others to Him. I have several friends who are atheists and I know they are in my life for a reason. One of my ongoing prayers is that my actions and words might inspire them to want to get to know Him. I would LOVE to receive an email like the one you've received!

stephanie said...

How awesome is that!!! You are such a blessing to so many through your blogging, and I have not doubt you are planting more seeds right and left through your beautiful words!!! Love and Blessings! Stephanie

Emily B (emleepc@yahoo.com) said...

What a great reminder of how we can impact those around us with our words and actions, whether we realize it or not!

Suzy said...

Wow - is that humbling or WHAT?!? Of course the lesson is that we often don't have a clue how much we impact other people (for good OR bad) until long after the fact.
May God help me remember your story and help me live and walk godly before others.