October 15, 2010

ONE - LUCAS, BLOOD WATER MISSION

I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again. ~William Penn

We've focused on folks this week who have made a difference. I especially love that ONE person can change the world for hundreds, thousands, even millions.

Today's ONE is very special to me. His name is Lucas Kovasckitz and I have the distinct privilege of not only being one of his youth group leaders, but also his friend. He's like a deep creek, flowing steadily, nourishing those he streams by. He inspires me to do more, love deeper, and linger longer in God's presence. You can get a glimpse of his heart through his music (some of my fav!!) https://noisetrade.com/johnlucas. And should you ever get to worship with him in person, you will leave a different person.

Last year Lucas changed a community of folks by daring to challenge our youth group to something BIG. I asked him a few questions...hope you're inspired by him like I was!!



*Lucas is the 7th guy from the left

1. Why did you want to raise money for Blood:Water?
Blood:Water is my favorite non-profit organization...their heart and vision for those who have almost nothing of earthly value, specifically in Africa, is pretty amazing. I heard about their goal to dig 1,000 wells in African communities, and I knew that I wanted to be a part of it. One of their fundraising ideas was to drink nothing but water for 40 days, and to give away what you would have spent on coffee or soda. It’s a really simple idea, but it can also have a lasting impact on both the giver as well as the people the well serves. Instead of just writing a check and forgetting about it, you’re daily making a conscious choice to give up a small piece of American comfort. In a way, you’re identifying with those that the final result of your efforts is blessing…a beautiful community of people around the world that you’ll most likely never meet. The main goal, at least for me, wasn't the dollar figure at the end of the fast, but hopefully a small but tangible heart transformation. Too often I’m convicted of my consumerism, and my pursuit of things that will never last. I don’t want to forget about the people that the world has forgotten.


2. What steps did you take to go about raising money?
I really felt like the fast was something that I was supposed to do, but I also wanted to get others involved. I ran it by my homeboy/youth pastor, and soon the youth got behind the fast. This then spread until much of our church community was also participating. The response was a huge blessing, and also extremely humbling.

3. How much $ was raised over what period of time? How many wells does that equate to? We raised about $2500, which is about half of the amount it takes to dig and build a well. It wasn’t a million dollars on a ten-foot check, but it’s pretty amazing what can happen when a group of people makes sacrifices to change the world around them.


4. Would you do it again? or something else like that?
I would definitely do it again, and I want to learn how to better serve those in my own community and around the world that are struggling in poverty. I’m in the process of getting my degree in economics, to hopefully use it in an organization like Blood:Water – one that meets practical needs but also shines the love of Christ.

Click here for more about Blood:Water!

Blood:Water Mission (An Overview) from Blood:Water Mission on Vimeo.



But if it were I, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before him. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,miracles that cannot be counted. He bestows rain on the earth; he sends water upon the countryside. The lowly he sets on high,and those who mourn are lifted to safety. ~Job 5

2 comments:

Alyssa Womack said...

Yay Lucas! We so appreciate the efforts of your youth group and your church. Thanks for walking alongside us in this journey to bring health and hope to our neighbors in Africa!

Eileen said...

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing these Ones this week. I've loved learning about some "Ones" I was not aware of.