July 28, 2008

I Found Myself

"Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you. Accept instruction from his mouth and lay up his words in your heart. If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored: If you remove wickedness far from your tent and assign your nuggets to the dust, your gold of Ophir to the rocks in the ravines, then the Almighty will be your gold, the choicest silver for you. Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty and will lift up your face to God. You will pray to him, and he will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows. What you decide on will be done, and light will shine on your ways.” ~ Job 22:21-28

In 2002 the Lord laid this verse on my mom’s heart for me. It’s an Ebenezer for several reasons. I am so grateful to have God-fearing, listening parents who share with me the words of the Lord. And, I am so grateful to have God, a listening parent who shares with me His Word.

My relationship with this part of His Word has changed several times. I found myself in different ways each time I read it. Challenging, encouraging, convicting, inviting—the words of this passage haven’t changed, but my reflections and interactions with them has. One day I looked up the original Hebrew. Below is a paraphrase of what God has spoken to me through these verses. Just as He’s met me through His eternal, unchanging Word, I pray the Lord meets you personally, whether with Job 22 or a unique verse He gives you!

Job 22:21-28
Acquaint yourself with God, be used by him and you will be made whole, sound, restored and complete in Him; in this way good things will turn out well.

Become one, like a husband and wife, with the prophetic teaching from God’s mouth and lay up his words in your heart.

If you give yourself back to the Almighty, you will be built up and restored permanently like the exiles.

Rid yourself and your home of unholiness. Trade your treasures for the Lord’s. Toss what you hold onto so tightly into the water, letting it float away. Then the Almighty will be more than you could have dreamed.

Surely then you will be pampered and take exquisite, dainty, and delicate delight in the Most Powerful. Lift all of yourself to God.

You will be complete and sound in a covenant of peace with God. He will hear you, and help you do what you've promised: fulfill your offerings to the Lord.

Promises, commands and words you decree will be fulfilled. Instruction will shine on your course of life. Jehovah, Israel’s light, will enlighten your journey. Dawn will break and cause your moral character to shine!

No comments: