July 10, 2008

You've Got Mail

Wondering which Ebenezer the Lord wanted me to write about, a thought started inching its way in. Sneaky, this thought hung on the outskirts of my conversation with God. Nonchalantly drawing circles with it’s toes in the sands of my mind, biding it’s time, it crept in closer. Casually taking a seat, this thought stated it had something very important to say. My ears were tuned in to this thought.

“What if I run out of Ebenezers to write about?”

HUH?!? What?! Get thee behind me satan and my flesh! God is the same yesterday, today and forever and His faithfulness is complete. He is able to give me more than I need. How and why did that thought come in?

Giving it a mighty shove, I turned and looked over at the Lord. “God, what is that about?” He answered, “Girl, you fear I’m incomplete. That I don’t have what it takes. That I'm not able. You don’t trust me.”

Ouch. The truth hurt! I don’t trust the Lord is enough. I don’t think He is able. And it extends to more than having enough Ebenezers to write about. It touches on many areas of life.

Jesus responded to my doubt in such a sweet way. How? You ask. By sending me an Ebenezer in the mail of course! Why? You ask. Because He is enough and He is able! Here is a letter I received right after my doubtful thoughts: (from a guest at a work conference)
* * * * *
"If you remember I came back down because I did not get a scripture verse. We ran into you and asked if there were still verses in the conference room. You said, ‘I don’t know but if not, there is ONE scripture on the registration desk.

We got to the conference room and there was not one verse. I knew then that the verse on the registration desk was for me. I picked it up and it said, Habakkuk 3:19, ‘The Sovereign Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights.’ I thought to myself, That is a good verse, but honestly, it did not make me do cartwheels.

I got back to my room and pulled the verse out to read again. It was then that I saw the watermarked word underneath. My word was ABLE.

Before the conference God laid Ephesians 3:20 on my heart. ‘Now to Him who is ABLE to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine through His power which is at work in us.’ Not to mention the fact I prayed earlier to lay down three lies: 1. I am not good enough. 2. I am inadequate. 3. I have nothing to offer.

After reading my word ABLE, I could sense Jesus telling me: In you, you are not good enough. In you, you are inadequate. In you, you have nothing to offer. But in ME, you are ABLE.

Praise the Lord! He is ABLE.
Wendi
* * * * *
Y’all, God is ABLE! He is ABLE to stand in the face of fear and doubt, and declare I AM. Let’s take a moment and praise Ephesians 3:20 outloud. Lord, thank you that you are ABLE. We praise you for doing immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine! Amen.

No comments: