July 23, 2008

One Way Out: Part II

With honey from the rock I would satisfy you. ~Psalm 81:16

We left off yesterday with me slouched on the floor tangled in grumpiness, desperation, and mistrust. Time was running out and I needed an answer from the Lord. Traipsing all over in search of it I begged my parents to decide for me, pleaded with friends to pray and listen on my behalf, and questioned everyone else what they would do in my shoes. My emotions were whirling too loud for me to hear and trust God’s answer.

One day in the midst of this, the Holy Spirit quieted me and said, “Look up that small, non-profit ministry.” Looking their website over, I was struck how neat it’d be if they had a branch for young women. Clear as a whistle God winked at me, “Write them a proposal offering to help form one.”

Hesitating at first, I thought, “I must be crazy.” Then I realized I had nothin’ to lose. So I typed and the Lord dictated. Praying a covering over my written words, I hit the Send button and eagerly hoped for a response. Here’s what I got:

We actually have a fairly small office “staff.” We have three full time employees and several part time employees. The rest of our associates are volunteers. I honestly wish I had something for you. Your resume reflects your administrative skills but it is your cover letter that spoke of your passion, and tugged on my heart.

It sounds like you are not aware that we recently launched a new branch for young women. Pray about possibly getting involved. At this time, everyone involved is serving the ministry as a volunteer. I can’t promise that this would change in the near future. Of course, I have no idea what God has planned. Let me know how you feel about this.


Volunteer!?! What?! Yikes y’all! All my eggs were in this basket. I was stunned they just opened up a new branch, but shocked they couldn’t hire me. Praying about this, I was driven further to pursue it. Doubt took a back seat and faith took its rightful place. In a nutshell, I assured them this was were God would have me work, as a paid employee, not a volunteer. However He worked it, I would walk it out. That took supernatural bravery for me, but my spirit resonated with confidence in God.

A few days later the executive director called me, “This never happens, but we have a job opening! The Lord really put you on my heart to call. Let’s interview.” Wowzers!!! Joy washed in waves over me as we spoke and everything seemed honky-dory. Until…

Until the clinchers: 30 hours/week, $12/hour. The Lord was clear: this was not the job for me. The place: yes; the position: no. Two days to consider were given. The Event was right around the corner. And I had to quit, with or without a job. Tick, tock, tick, tock….

I'll share with you tomorrow how the story ends!

Who am I, O Sovereign Lord…that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future…of your servant….For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant. How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears. ~II Sam. 7:18-22

No comments: