July 7, 2008

A Tisket, A Tasket, What a Mighty Basket!

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." ~Isaiah 46:4

Sit back. What do you feel? Your chair? Some pillows? Ten fingers?

Yep, it’s true. The fingers of God carry us. Trusting we are safe and secure in the hands of the Most High may be difficult. It is for me at times. So I asked the Lord to talk to me about it. What does that mean?"

He spoke to me about Moses, which was a surprise. I thought about Abraham, David, Esther or Joseph. But God reminded me of Moses as a baby and the faith of his family putting him in that basket down the Nile. That basket is God’s hand. And it protects us. Check out what Moses was up against:


The Nile: 4184 miles long! Class 4, 5 and 6 rapids course over waterfalls and end in the Mediterranean Sea. Flows south to north which is highly unusual. Most rivers flow north to south!


Hippopotamus: among the most dangerous and hostile of all mammals. Known to be aggressive towards humans, it is often claimed they’re the deadliest animal in Africa.


Crocs: Able to kill large vertebrates, including buffalo and hippos. Not only are the great jaws feared, but also its tail. One blow can smash a victim’s backbone.


Green Mamba: One of the most dangerous snakes. Highly venomous and antagonistic, there is little chance to escape the neurotoxic venomous bite.

Putting my baby, any baby, down a 4000 mile long river seems crazy! Visions of the baby flying over waterfalls would fill my mind. I’d worry he’d be bait for hippos or crocs. Or the rapids would flip his basket and he'd drown! Eek! The faith, trust and obedience of Moses’ family, placing him in God’s hands, is stunning.

The hand of the Lord comes in so many different forms: a cave of concealment around David; natural beauty gracing Esther; a ram suddenly appearing for Abraham and Isaac; ravens catering to Elijah; a prostitute protecting Caleb and Joshua; a wheat field full of favor for Ruth and Naomi; a shipwreck and centurion sparing Paul; a tiny basket and mighty river carrying Moses. What does God's hand look like in your life? I'd be interested to know if you'd like to share.

Is there a Moses in your life you are holding tightly to, fearful to put in the river? Do you trust the Lord’s hands? It may be that you are the Moses and God is calling you to get in your ‘basket’ and rest. He has created the river to flow in the exact direction it needs to take you. And you will be plucked out before an attack from wild beasts or going down a waterfall. The Lord’s hand is upon you, has created you for His purpose, and protects and fully covers you.

"Then the word of the LORD came to me: 'O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?' declares the LORD.’Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.'" ~Jeremiah 18:5, 6

No comments: