July 21, 2008

Warrior Is A Child

“See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are.” ~I John 3:1

I wouldn’t go on record as the coolest kid on the block. Over-sized glasses with rainbow-colored rims, a die-hard love of books, and black high-tops definitely added to my geekiness. Adding to my dork status was the infamous Walkman. My svelte Walkman was accompanied by some totally radical headphones with foam ear pieces that inevitably fell off.

To polish off my double-sock scrunching, tight-pant rolling nerdy self, I listened to Twila Paris on my Walkman. Every night before bed I popped my cassette tape in, adjusted my headphones and let Twila sing me to sleep (Carmen and Amy Grant were reserved for day-light hours).

Even with lights out my fingers knew the Rewind button and roughly 27 squeaks back started Warrior is a Child for the fifteenth time in a row. Much as I loved this song I never knew what Twila’s words meant. At age 8, my life couldn’t conceive why a child was a warrior or how come she had a sword in the first place. Now as an adult I fully feel and grasp the words. I see how the Lord chose that song to ingrain on my heart. In this last season, it bubbles up to my mind often.

When my vim and vigor to fight has vanished, God hums this tune, and visions of resting in my pink ruffled bed tucked snuggly between Run Away Moose and Honey Bear (my two fav stuffed animals of course) come to me. That sure safety surrounding me as my little hands pressed Play once again before sleep caught me reassures me now that that is the heart of the Father. He beckons “This is the resting place--you’re weary…rest (Isaiah 28:12), relinquish the warfare, and share your hurt and heart with Me. I, the Lord your God who goes before you, will fight on your behalf (Deut. 1:30).” I pray you too find that quiet place with the Lord as you drop your weapons and climb up in His lap to rest.

Warrior is a Child

Lately I've been winning battles left and right
But even winners can get wounded in the fight
People say that I'm amazing
Strong beyond my years
But they don't see inside of me
I'm hiding all the tears

They don't know that I go running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and cry for just a while
'Cause deep inside this armor
The warrior is a child

Unafraid because His armor is the best
But even soldiers need a quiet place to rest
People say that I'm amazing
Never face retreat
But they don't see the enemies
That lay me at His feet


“For the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes." ~Rev. 7:17

No comments: