June 4, 2008

Shelter Living

"Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him." ~ Psalm 91

Passing four schools on the way to work usually means driving by a lot of police cars. But not for me! I may see one a day at the most. So this past Monday when I passed almost 10 my interest was peaked!

“Lord, what are you speaking to me with all these cop cars?”

“I protect you. Know it. Believe it. Rest secure in it. I protect you.”

Why this lesson? Why this day? That was unclear until late afternoon. Out of the blue an incident happened that really shook me and had the potential to cause great fear. This thing was uncontrollable, unforeseeable, and I couldn’t stop it from happening. However, what I could control was my reaction. Immediately I saw the proverbial fork in the road: Trust or Fear.

Seeking the Lord, I felt His comfort and strength and trust in His protection arise. He reminded me again, “I protect you. I protect you.” In my distress, He too was distressed. When I called on Him, He rescued me from fear and the angel of His presence saved me. In fact, the Lord of Hosts commanded His angels concerning me to guard me in all my ways and sure enough, they lifted me up in their hands. (Isaiah 63; Psalm 91)

As if that wasn’t enough, the Lord continued to remind me with police cars that He is my refuge, fortress and protection:

~Later that day I saw bunches more police cars
~Many times looking up, blue lights were in my rear-view mirror
~And just this morning a police officer came into our office!

My concept of the Almighty as my Protector -- His faithfulness as my shield and rampart -- are being redefined. That night, continuing to lay my fear and mistrust before the Throne, asking the Lord to help me believe He protects me, I felt my eyes ‘open’ and the room appeared brighter. A part of God’s character became reality. In all things we are to give thanks, and so I thank the Lord for that frightening moment that I could see His love and mercy. His redemption for me was tangible and I felt His feathers as He lifted me.

I say to you, “God protects you. He protects you.” May our confidence in our Savior grow more secure and sure as He carries us all the days of old.

“’Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.’” He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." ~ Psalm 91

No comments: