June 9, 2008

My Bella Day

“Don’t let foreigners who commit themselves to the Lord say, ‘The Lord will never let me be part of his people.’” ~Isaiah 56: 3

Run to the Red Box at Harris Teeter ($1.07/night), rent “Bella,” invite the Lord to view it with you, and keep your finger on the pause button. This beautiful portrayal of Jesus had me stopping to praise, cry and be refined. If my heart were the earth, one scene drilled to the deep inner core and re-awakened my love for orphans in a revolutionary way.

One of God’s calls on my life is to share Him and His Love with orphans all over the world. I dream of my husband and I adopting children from many nations. Confirming this again recently, the Lord’s sweetness fed the hungry place in the depths of my heart for missions and orphans.

Over Mother’s Day weekend, my dad said, “You’re going to have two kids of your own before you adopt.” At church, two separate women hugged me and said, “Happy Future Mother’s Day” with a gleam in their eyes! Then one of my roomies randomly said, “Aww, you’re going to be a great mom!” Getting my hair done last week, the woman next to me told me about adopting her son from Belarus.

And today…oh y’all, today was remarkable!

Standing at the front desk at work, I saw our landlord coming. She had a little boy with her, whom I assumed was her grandson. But was I wrong!

Anatoly is her and her husband’s ten year old, special needs, foster son from Belarus! His country won’t allow adoptions, so he comes for just six weeks every summer. He and his mom explained how they make it through the difficult 46 weeks of the year apart. They keep their eyes to the sky. Toly can’t communicate well with words because of his special needs and lack of English, but his smile and eyes said it all. Pointing to his heart, then his mom’s heart, he showed me how they gaze upward, looking to their Jesus, who binds them together.

Mercy y'all, I lost it! I was a mess as I explained my love for orphans and adoption. And Toly’s mom just sweetly cried with me. She shared how excited they are to adopt Toly when he turns 18. That’s 8 years away! Altogether they will have waited 12 years for the fulfillment of the promise of bringing their sweet son home to stay.

Wrapping his arms around me in a big hug, Toly thanked me for having him there. Oh gracious, ‘Thank you darling!’ I thought. What an Ebenezer from Jesus to bring the orphans from other nations to me until I am released to go to them! God gently reminded me, “’My Spirit is on you, and I have anointed you … to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.’ You will be a great mom to ALL your kids! Wait for the fulfillment of my sweet promise to bring your sons and daughters home to stay.” ~Isaiah 61

No comments: