June 6, 2008

Just Enough

“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.” ~Isaiah 55:8-9

Pain began oozing through my side as I sat in my office at work at the Health Center. Hobbling down the hall to the nurse’s station, they set me up to be seen by the PA. “My diagnosis is you need your gall bladder out, but you’ll have to go to a doctor to validate that.”

From that point on, getting proof I needed gall bladder surgery was an uphill climb through thick molasses against 100 mph wind! One obstacle after the other confronted me. My insurance card had wondered off to La-La Land and what a fiasco to get a new one! Without my card, appointments for ultrasounds, CT scans, lab work, blood tests, and physicals had to be paid out of pocket. My savings were dried up, and my checking account down to the wire. As the days went by my pain got worse and I was stressing out, not knowing how I was going to pay a large hospital bill due before they would operate. On top of that I couldn’t eat anything beyond crackers and plain pasta. All these frustrations took a toll and I was ever thankful to go home to my parents for Thanksgiving.

Joining my brother-in-law in the den to watch some football, he wordlessly handed me an envelope and went back to cheering for his team. Peeking inside, there was a check … the exact amount I needed to pay my pre-surgery hospital fees! I hadn’t shared my financial woes with anyone! And with Christmas around the corner, and he and my sister having two children, I knew this was truly a gift. What an amazing Ebenezer!

“The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace.” ~Isaiah 55:10-12

No comments: