June 19, 2008

Greater













“But Moses said to the people, "Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever.” ~ Exodus 14:13-14

At times the thought of the enemy can get the better of us. Defeated, deflated, despaired, and depressed. There just doesn’t seem to be a way out of being covered with attacks. One of my favorite scenes from Return of the King is the last battle. The “good guys” march straight up to the enemy, boldly beckon them to fight, and are thus surrounded by the enemy. At the last possible second, good prevails and the enemy turns tail and flees.

God gave me a dream very similar to this scene I’d like to share. My hope is to encourage each of us that God does come to our rescue!

A fierce, dark battle, with morbid, mangled creatures was waging in front of me. Two unearthly beasts charged towards me to attack, leaping as if their feet never touched the ground. With no weapon in hand, and knowing I couldn’t outrun these things, I simply stood my ground. Out of nowhere, Aragon from Lord of the Rings bounded over the beast’s heads and knocked one to the left. The one to the right was a massive, gray and black tiger. Aragon took hold of its bottom jaw and swung it up in the air. The tiger bit down hard on Aragon’s hand, but he seemed unfazed. "You think you're such a big kitty, don't you?" he jested at the enormous cat. Gripping the mighty jaw of the tiger, Aragon flung him up over his head and slammed the beast down hard on a raised platform with bars around it. I was rescued simply by standing still.

The battle was still going on, but slowing down and the enemy was confused and scattering. I followed Aragon to the side of the battle, where all of a sudden Gandalf appeared, dressed in white. He and Aragon wrapped their arms in around me in a tight circle and I knew the enemy was defeated and I was safe.

~Beloved, my prayer is that we truly know we are the beloved. Christ loves us. He loved us even unto death, where He rose and defeated the power of the enemy. The next time we're tempted to wage our own war, let's take a step back, stand still and watch the Lord bound over our enemy, fling him into oblivion, and rest in the arms of our Father.

“Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” ~ I John 4:4

No comments: