June 5, 2008

Safe Landing

"Then the Lord took note of Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had promised." ~Genesis 21:1

“What should I read today Lord?”

“Look up Isaac in your concordance.”


That was not my expectation of what God wanted me to study that day. Isaac. Everyone knows about Isaac. What more could I possibly glean from a story I’ve learned since the cradle?

Nevertheless, I turned to the back of my Bible, flipped to “I”, and ran my finger down the lines: “Isaac”.

Bam! Out of nowhere God spoke: “I protect the promise.”

And then I understood why Isaac. For years I’ve believed a specific promise God spoke to me. My faith has been challenged to stay the course and not doubt the promise will be protected and rescued.

God reminded me of a dream He'd given me:
Sitting in a small fighter plane, my dad was in the pilot’s seat, my mom the co-pilot’s and I in the backseat. Spinning circles in the desert sand, I watched out the side window and all of a sudden saw the enemy's plane coming straight at us. “Fly Dad!! The enemy is coming!!” Immediately the plane righted and shot off in a straight line in the sky.

Landing at an airport only for “good guys,” my mom and I got ready to de-board, but my dad stayed put. “You girls go rest. I need to go back out there.” Fear and worry hit me and I cried, “No! No! I’m going with you! You can’t go alone!!” Turning around, taking my hands, he asked, “What have you committed to do?” “Walk in obedience.” “Then it’s time,” he said. “Go rest. I’ve prepared a place for you and friends are waiting.” Getting off the plane, I saw lifelong friends who had prepared a feast and had chairs set up.

Waking up, God reminded me He is my fighter pilot and there are certain battles I’m just not meant to be privy to. It’s safest to stay on the ground, rest and replenish myself.

The next morning after "hanging out" with Isaac, I awoke to the sound of planes. One after the other, after the other, flew over my house for hours. Am I dreaming?? Lord, that is the exact sound in my dream! Feeling Him smile, He gently reminded me, “I protect the promise. Keep walking in obedience, girl, and let me fight this one for you.”

Lord, thank you for your promises and that you are The Protector. Help our lack of trust and open our eyes to see the 'ram' you provide. We bless your Name, Amen.

"Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, ‘On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.’” ~Genesis 22:13

No comments: